Limited to 25 participants, our intensives provide extra hands-on instruction for illustrators and authors. In order to attend, participants must register/pay for the Saturday Mid-Year Workshop ($200), as well as the separate Friday intensive ($180). You must be a current SCBWI member.Illustrators' Intensive - Friday June 7th 9am - 5pm
Join MARIA T. MIDDLETON (Associate Art Director for Abrams Books for Young Readers and Amulet Books), ETHAN LONG (Illustrator and recipient of the 2013 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award), and LINDA SHUTE (Author/illustrator/SCBWI FL Illustrator Coordinator) designed for committed illustrators who wish to hone their craft through hands-on activities and discussion. Updates/homework at the following link: HOMEWORK
More infromation for our Florida Illustrators can be found at: illustrators.scbwiflorida.com
Join ANDREA WELCH (Editor at Beach Lane Books, Simon & Schuster) and FRANK REMKIEWICZ (Illustrator of the popular Horrible Harry and Froggy series and author/illustrator of Scholastic’s The Gus Books) for an intense course focused on the ins and outs of crafting a successful picture book for young readers. Updates/homework at the following link: HOMEWORKNovel Intensive - Friday June 7th 9am – 5pm
Join JORDAN SONNENBLICK (Author of middle-grade novels, including Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie and Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip), ALEX FLINN (Author of Beastly, A Kiss in Time, Breathing Underwater, and other books for young adults), and editor BRIAN FARREY (Acquiring Editor at Flux Books) for a novel-focused experience designed for writers of middle-grade and young adult books, focusing on characterization, plot, and revision. Updates/homework at: www.scbwiflorida.com*NEW* Professional Development Intensive - Friday June 15th 9am – 5pm
Join BRUCE HALE (Edgar-nominated author of the Chet Gecko Mysteries for middle-grade readers and Snoring Beauty, one of Oprah’s Recommended Reads for Kids), NORMA DAVIDS (Acting coach and member of the Screen Actor’s Guild), and GABY TRIANA (Asst. Regional Advisor for SCBWI Florida and author of Riding the Universe) for an inspirational all-new intensive designed for published authors/illustrators seeking new ways to enhance their freelance writing and professional opportunities. Updates/homework at the following link: HOMEWORK
(Open only to PAL members with book publishing credits or current book contract.)
This year, our Mid-Year Workshop features 5 awesome tracks to choose from: picture book (PB), middle grade (MG), young adult (YA), fantasy/sci-fi, and an exciting humor series track! You will remain within your selected track, which includes writing exercises, first page critiques, and market information geared toward the genre of your choice. Open to SCBWI members and non-members.
• Picture Book with: ANDREA WELCH (Editor, Beach Lane Books), LAURIE FRIEDMAN (Author of the Mallory McDonald middle-grade series), ETHAN LONG (Illustrator and winner of the 2013 Theodore Seuss Geisel Award), and MARIA T. MIDDLETON (Associate Art Director for Abrams Books for Young Readers and Amulet Books)
• Middle Grade with: JORDAN SONNENBLICK (Author of Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie and Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip) and LISA CHENG (Editor at Running Kids Press)
• Young Adult with: YA Author ALEX FLINN (Author of Beastly, A Kiss in Time, and Breathing Underwater) and BRIAN FARREY, Acquiring Editor at Flux Books.
• Sci-Fi & Fantasy with: MATTHEW KIRBY (Award-winning author of The Clockwork Three, Icefall, and the upcoming The Lost Kingdom and Book 5 in the Infinity Ring series) and JOE MONTI (Agent at Barry Goldblatt Literary Agency)
• Humor Series with: BRUCE HALE (Edgar-nominated author of the Chet Gecko Mysteries and Snoring Beauty, one of Oprah’s Recommended Reads for Kids) and STEPHANIE LURIE (Associate Publisher and Editorial Director at Disney Publishing Worldwide)
Track leaders will select a few submissions to read aloud and critique. Bring the first page of your novel or picture book (double spaced, 12-pt. type, 250 words or less, 1 page only) to your workshop track. Include the title and genre, but not your name or other personal information.
Mail fees/registration form to SCBWI FLORIDA (see Registration Form) or register online here. Available to registered participants for an additional fee and limited to 4 critiques per person. Sorry, but we CANNOT honor requests for specific critiquers.Illustrators:
Bring artwork, portfolios, and/or dummies to your workshop. Mail Critique Submissions Form to Kerry O’Malley Cerra (see form for details) and fees/registration form to SCBWI FLORIDA (see Registration Form) or register online at www.scbwiflorida.comWriters:
Include two copies of your manuscript (up to 10 pages* in standard format**) with your Critique Submission Form and mail to Kerry O’Malley Cerra (see Critique Submission Form for details). Mail fees/registration form to SCBWI FLORIDA (see Registration Form).
* Although a picture book may have fewer than ten pages, each separate piece counts as a separate submission.
** Submission format is explained at www.scbwi.org “From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know.”
Rooms are $139/night plus a $10 resort fee & tax. Reservations:
This year, we are thrilled to be adding our ALL-NEW meet-and-greet reception, the Elixir Mixer & Silent Auction on Friday night, June 7th at Disney’s Swan & Dolphin Resort (exact time/location TBA). Included in the registration price and featuring a cash bar. SCBWI Florida party events are legendary and not to be missed! Details to come!
Workshop leaders, critiquers, and SCBWI (PAL) members registered for the conference may sell their books. Contact SCBWI-FL Assistant Regional Advisor Marcea Ustler at [email protected] by May 8, 2013 with book titles/ISBN numbers. Sorry, self-published books & ebooks cannot be sold.
Contact SCBWI Florida Regional Advisor Linda R. Bernfeld at (321) 338-7208 or [email protected] or Assistant Regional Advisor Gaby Triana at [email protected] or (305) 321-8481. For illustrator questions, contact Illustrator Coordinator Linda Shute at [email protected]. For tech issues, contact Curtis Sponsler at [email protected].
• Last day for Early Registration! After May 8, see Registration Form for additional fees.
• Last day for Critique Submission.
• Last day to contact Marcea Ustler for book sales.
• Critique Submission Forms and 2 copies of manuscripts received by May 8th. Mail to:
4260 NW 95th Avenue
Coral Springs, FL 33065
• If paying by check and NOT registering online,
send payment with the Registration Form to:
125 E. Merritt Island Cswy. Suite 209, Box #266
Merritt Island, FL 32952
This address also goes on the registration form for mailing checks, if not registering online.
Reminder: Since we cannot control the temperature in the rooms, bring a sweater, jacket, or parka.